LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is a 12-week small group program designed for cancer survivors who have recently become de-conditioned or chronically fatigued from their treatment and/or disease.
Cancer is a life-changing disease that takes a tremendous physical and emotional toll on those affected. The Y and LIVESTRONG have joined together to create LIVESTRONG at the YMCA, a research-based physical activity and well-being program designed to help adult cancer survivors achieve their holistic health goals
Participants work with Y staff trained in supportive cancer care to safely achieve their goals such as building muscle mass and strength; increase flexibility and endurance; and improving confidence and self-esteem. By focusing on the whole person and not the disease, LIVESTRONG at the YMCA is helping people move beyond cancer in spirit, mind and body.
PROGRAM GOAL: To empower cancer survivors to improve functional capacity and to increase their quality of life through an organized program of fitness and strength.
INSTRUCTORS: Certified fitness instructors participate in the YMCA of the USA Training. The instructors give individualized instruction and support to the participants.
The participant will fill out a baseline form to determine fitness level, vitality, perceived stress and fatigue. In addition a functional assessment will be completed at the beginning and end of the program.
This is a 12 week-instructor led-small group program that offers four components of fitness within a 75 minute class. The four components of fitness include:
1. Aerobic (5-15+ minutes) treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical trainer, rower
2. Progressive resistive strength training (25-40 minutes) strength machines, free weights, elastic bands, exercise ball. Specific to their needs.
3. Flexibility/stretching/range of motion and balance (10-15 minutes) floor stretches, stretching with partner and specific to their needs.
4. Mind/Body (5-10 minutes) Pilates, Yoga, Tai Chi, breathing, relaxation, meditation and visualization.
A typical session includes the welcome, demonstration and practice of the strength & cardio exercises, stretching, reminders and questions.
This program is tailored to the specific needs and fitness level of the survivor.
While Enrolled in this Free Program...
Survivors and their caregiver will receive all the benefits of a Y membership and may utilize the facility, participate in value-added or designated classes. But they must also be actively participating in the LIVESTRONG Exercise program to receive this benefit.
LIVESTRONG connects individuals to the support they need, leverages funding and resources to spur innovation and engages communities and leaders to drive social change. Known for the iconic yellow wristband, LIVESTRONG's mission is to inspire and empower anyone affected by cancer.
Criteria for Participation
• Strong personal desire to be enrolled.
• Survivor must enroll himself or herself in the program.
• Personally committed to attend all classes.
• Inform their physician of their plan to join the program.
• Give permission for the exercise specialist to call the physician or person giving treatment when necessary.
• Complete our screening forms and answer health questionnaire.
• This class is recommended for survivors who have recently finished their cancer treatment.
The enrollment decision will be made on an individual basis
Testimonials: from LIVESTRONG Cancer Survivor Participants:
"LIVESTRONG not only gives me a chance to return to fitness in a slow paced, individualized pace, but it also provides me with a supportive group of trainers and fellow cancer survivors."
"I started the program just one month after finishing chemo. I feel stronger than before cancer and can't wait to continue my exercise. I have also met 10 other people who will forever be my friends and survivors."
"When I started I was feeling very depressed. The support I got from fellow participants and from the leaders of the program was terrific. My stamina and strength has increased as well as my mental-well being."
Advanced Registration Required
Class Size Is Limited
COST: This is FREE to both Y Members & General Public. The program consists of a 12-week session that meets 2 times a week for 75 minutes.